Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Final Solution by Michael Chabon

I had been intrigued by the premise of Michael Chabon's The Final Solution for some time, but it wasn't until I read this review at Grumpy Old Bookman that I got really interested in reading it. I had read and enjoyed The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, and I've had Wonder Boys sitting on my shelf for the last year now, but when I saw The Final Solution in Borders this weekend, I had to pick it up. The idea of an 89-year-old Sherlock Holmes coming out retirement to solve a mysterious crime was just too good to pass up.

And though I've been wanting to read Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories for a long time, I'd never been able to work up the enthusiasm to go out and get the books. Holmes is one of those legendary characters of literature that it seems everyone knows, but it wasn't until I read Chabon's little tale that I felt a real excitement about reading Doyle's detective stories. I'm looking forward to experiencing the Sherlock Holmes phenomenon for myself, and I plan on revisiting The Final Solution once I've read a few of Doyle's works. If I enjoyed it that much without really understanding all the allusions and references, I imagine it'll be even better once I do.

If you're curious about the premise of The Final Solution, or are looking for a good review of it, check out Grumpy Old Bookman. His review is linked above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home