Wednesday, December 21, 2005

holiday down time

Because I'm such a fan of lists, and because I haven't posted any recommendations or lists in a while, I'm going to do everyone a favor and post a list of books and movies for people with a little more free time than usual over the holidays. This is an extremely random collection; in fact, I hadn't thought about what I would include until I came up with the idea to make the list about 53 seconds ago. That's my disclaimer.

But since we all might have some time over the next week or two that we wouldn't normally have, here are some ways to take a break from the family.

Books

The Martian Chronicles & Something Wicked This Way Comes
By Ray Bradbury
--Both books are great, but Martian Chronicles is easier to read a little at a time.

Chronicle of A Death Foretold
By Gabriel Garcia Marquez
--It's less than 100 pages long, so it's a very quick read. A good intro to his work, though.

A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin
--If you can get past the fact that this is "fantasy," it will blow your mind. The first volume of what's shaping up to be one of the best works of epic storytelling ever. Ever.

Tortilla Flat
John Steinbeck
--Hilarious accounts of Steinbeck's paisanos. Will make you want to drink cheap boxed wine (if you're not already doing so)

The Eyre Affair
By Jasper Fforde
--A fun, light-hearted book. Kind of like Harry Potter for book-loving adults.

American Gods
By Neil Gaiman
--The only book of his that I've read, but it's worth every bit of praise it's received. An interesting look at what happens to religion when it becomes mythology.

Movies

I don't feel like writing little explanations for all these, so you can check them out for yourself. I love all these movies though, and I think they are all worth a look. Enjoy.

Ed TV

Kung Fu Hustle

A Christmas Story

Nueve Reinas (Nine Queens)

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

Total Recall

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home