Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Bradbury Chronicles

I recently finished The Bradbury Chronicles, Sam Weller's biography of Ray Bradbury. It is the first authorized biography of this giant of American letters, and the book definitely benefits from the author's in-depth access to Bradbury and his family and friends. Sam Weller is clearly a huge fan of his subject, and he is very up front about that fact in his book. Although this adoring tone can get a little old at times, for the most part the book is a gripping, well-written account of the life of an incredible writer.

This biography reminded me of just how much I've always loved Ray Bradbury's writing style, and with the summer just around the corner, it seems a perfect time to re-read some of his classics. It also brought my attention to many Bradbury stories and books that I've never read, and I'm excited to pick them up.

However, as much as I love Ray Bradbury the writer, this book made me dislike Ray Bardbury the man. It's hard to separate the two, but throughout this biography I found myself shocked by how arrogant and petulant Bradbury seems. And Sam Weller is more than happy to encourage this attitude. Any time that someone didn't get along with Bradbury, or critics found flaws in his work, Weller acknowledges these issues, and then proceeds to make it clear that Bradbury is unquestionably correct. And to be honest, that approach is justified a lot of the time. But the problem with being told how great an author is over and over and over again is that eventually it really gets on your nerves.

Part of the reason I generally avoid biographies of my favorite artists is that they invariably disappoint me in some way. I prefer to let their work speak for them. My experience shows that truly brilliant artists, just like anyone else, tend to be balanced individuals. If they excel in one way, they are often seriously flawed in another. I think that is why so many great artists struggle with depression. They often lack the social skills that would allow them to coexist happily with others.

I think that Orson Scott Card sums it up very well on his website:

The only serious drawback in this book is the way that Bradbury's vanity is inadvertently revealed. While Weller does not exactly gush, he clearly believes that Bradbury is a "genius" and his tone is well over the line into worshipfulness.

One of the tragedies of our celebrity worship is that some "geniuses" are aware of the difference between how they are assessed by the public and what they actually deserve, and it gnaws at them; while others are blissfully unaware of any difference, and they embrace the worship of others. Bradbury seems to be in the latter category, which I suppose makes him much happier than the former sort.

'Tis but a quibble. Bradbury is the real thing: a great writer.

Word. And as a writer, Ray Bradbury is truly one of my all-time favorites.

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

W E A K

 

Post a Comment

<< Home